Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Emergency Car Kit

My wife and I put together an emergency car kit for each of our vehicles. Please don't confuse this with a "bug out bag" that you may be familar with. 

This kit is not meant to be a "doomsday" survival kit that has become so popular on TV and in the blogosphere during the last few years. This is a kit of items that might come in handy if we have car trouble, have an accident in a remote location, or if we are forced to leave the vehicle and go for help at some point.

I am sure I missed a few things here and there, but these items are basically all that will fit into the spare carrying bag that I had available. I do plan to add a couple of bags of emergency food items. I prefer Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's for short) if I can find them locally. Otherwise I plan to pick up a couple of Mountain House brand food bags from Wal-Mart's camping section. Those emergency food rations have a 7 year shelf life.

Emergency car kit
The kit was put together last summer, if the sunscreen and bug spray weren't a tip off to you already. It's not pictured but I also keep a wide brimmed hat in the car for additional sun protection. For winter we are carrying a spare blanket, sleeping bag, and winter gloves in our vehicles at all times. We also have several 16 ounce bottles of water available in our vehicles.

I'll try to list the contents of the photograph the best way that I can.
  • Five 1 gallon Ziploc bags
  • Fishing line
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Spray-on sunscreen
  • Insect repellant
  • Toilet tissue
  • Band aids
  • Three pair of wool socks
  • Pair of wool gloves
  • Rain poncho
  • Folding shovel
  • Fifteen black garbage bags
  • Compass
  • Nylon cord/rope
  • Water treatment tablets
  • Sharpie
  • Duct tape
  • Emergency mylar blanket
  • Aleve brand pain medicine
  • Lighters
  • Fire steel
  • Utility lighter

2 comments:

  1. I became MORE of a survivalist after I was stranded on a forest road for a night...I keep a car emergency kit in my truck at all times now...It's a Rubbermaid container....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rubbermaid container is a good idea. I need something a tad bit bigger.

      Delete

Your comment will be reviewed for approval by the moderator.