Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Mountain House Freeze Dried Food

I try to prep a little bit each day. Some days that means buying camping supplies. Some days that means buying an oil lamp, fuel, or candles. Some days that means improving my knowledge by researching techniques and skills online. Today, I purchased a few bags of freeze dried food at my local sporting goods store.

They had some beef stroganoff, chili mac, granola, and even some freeze dried ice cream. Today I chose Mexican Style Rice and Chicken.

I spent almost 12 years eating Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) in the U.S. Army Reserves. At that time, I would have never imagined paying any amount of my hard earned money for food in a plastic bag, but my thoughts and ideas have changed gradually over the years. Now, I think it's a "must have" for everyone.

I don't plan to buy more than 10-15 of these freeze dried meals in a bag and I plan to use them mainly for emergency or back-up food options.

Today I purchased one that will be kept in my Ford Fusion and the other will be kept in my wife's Ford Explorer. We have emergency supply kit's with first aid, 3 options for starting a fire, a blanket, suncreen, water, etc. in both vehicles, so it makes sense to carry some emergency food too.

Some may balk at the price of this type of food, but I am certain that I'd gladly pay 3 or 4 times the price if I find myself in a true emergency situation where other options are limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed for approval by the moderator.