Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Why do preppers focus on so much negativity?

I started this website about emergency preparedness a.k.a. prepping, because so many of the blogs, discussions, forums, and website about "being prepared" focus almost solely on negatives. I think I understand why they chose such a negative tone in their material - because it sells.

That is almost exactly the same approach the mainstream news media takes as well. Why? Good news doesn't sell the same way bad news does. Good news blogs and bloggers aren't popular to the same degree that the "doomsday" guys are either. Documentaries seem to follow this same pattern.

Case in point:  NatGeo's Doomsday Preppers series.

There is nothing that good and positive about emergencies, disasters, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc., but must the so called prepper experts continuously flaunt the negativity to such a degree?

Here's an example that arrived in my inbox today from one of the urban prepper experts that writes a very popular website and blog. These are the main points from the e-mail:
  1. Stop believing that positive thought about the future will make things better
  2. Don't become overcome with the paralysis of analysis
  3. Don't believe the economy will improve
Here are my personal thoughts on the points above:
  • I am not an absolute believer in abundance theory, but I know from personal experience that people who are generally positive about the future and who have a postive outlook during their daily social interactions are usually more successful in their careers and with their families. Nobody I know wants to hang around someone that prescribes to the glass half empty point of view constantly.
  • I have to agree with point #2. It's better to take small steps toward the overall goal of preparing for the unknown that may never occur than be taken completely by surprise when it happens.
  • The naysayers and pundits (preppers included) have contributed to the self-fulfilling prophecy to a large degree, but they do so from a subjective perspective and for selfish reasons. Many of the naysayers and pundits have a conflict of interest. Many of them (not all) want to sell you something. They want to sell you bug out bags, survival food, e-books about buying gold and silver, etc. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying you don't need to be concerned about those products and the potential for return to economic recession. You surely do. But if you blindly follow the experts and their recommendations, you may actually end up in worse shape financially.
I am not a prescriber to the idea of moving your family to the countryside, into a compound, or to an underground bunker. My goal with this blog and with this article is to add a little normalcy and moderation to the overall debate.

I don't believe in by-passing my 401k donation and spending it all on gold and silver. I don't believe the government is out to get me or looking for me around every corner. I am not going to run high balances on my personal credit cards to by 2 or 3 years worth of dehydrated food to store in my basement or spare bedroom.

I do think putting a little extra food, first aid supplies, water, batteries, etc. on a regular basis makes sense. Having some gasoline, good tires, and a vehicle in good working mechanical condition provides a comfort level that I can leave the area when I need to and get to where I am going. You will continue to need these things whether or not SHTF.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed for approval by the moderator.